We have three different lab-scale granulators:
Lab-scale Granulator LS-2
Has a capacity of about two liters per hour. Granulates up to 16 litre/8h shift in your lab with same size as from a large granulator.
Lab-scale Granulator LS-6
This Lab-scale production granulator has the capacity of 6 liters/hour and it consists of a slip container with a stirrer and a pump for the slip.
Lab-scale Granulator LS-6nms
Has a capacity of 6 l/h. This is a special model with mechanical stirring for magnetic or high density powders.
homogeneous granules with
- no contamination
- no migration of binders or small particles
- no void formation
- no formation of dried shell
- redispersible nanopowders and enzymes
- easy to use and easy to clean
- granulate 5-25 litre/8h shift with the same granule size as for a large spray dryer. Capacity may vary depending on material and processing parameters
- granule size from 10 to 700 μm
- low waste of material (high yield)
- low temperature granulation for temperature sensitive materials
- for example, granulate 10 small batches of different compositions in 4h (one afternoon), including cleaning time
- processing capacity is strongly dependant on volume concentration in slurry and density of suspended material
- superior for retaining homogeneity in mixed material powders.
LS-2, our smallest freeze granulator, enables a suspension feeding of up to 2 liter/h. In practice, it allows processing of about 1 liter/h including the handling of frozen granules. In similarity, the larger granulator LS-6 enables a suspension feed of up to 6 liter/hour and a corresponding processing capacity of about 3 liter/h.
The given processing capacities for LS-2 and LS-6 is based on suspension volume. The corresponding capacity in dry weight depends on the density of the specific material and the loading of it in suspension. This means that it could be a large variation on weight basis as exemplified in the following, to be related to the stated processing capacity in suspension volume per hour.
Examples of granule production in weight
- Typical submicron ceramic powder with a density of 4 g/cm3: 35 vol% powder loading in suspension corresponds to 1.4 kg dry weight per liter processed suspension.
- Ceramic nano-powder with a density of 4 g/cm3: 5 vol% powder loading in suspension corresponds to 0.2 kg dry weight per liter processed suspension.
- Steel powder (gas atomized) with a density of 8 g/cm3: 45 vol% powder loading in suspension corresponds to 3.6 kg dry weight per liter processed suspension.
- Organic material with a density of 1 g/cm3: 20 vol% powder loading in suspension corresponds to 0.2 kg dry weight per liter processed suspension
Upon freeze granulation of one liter suspension with 40 vol% solids, the consumption of liquid nitrogen is 4-5 liters and the volume of dry granules will approximately be two liters.
After the granulation the frozen granules have to be dried by utilizing a freeze dryer with a capacity that match the daily production volume. Powderpro provides a lab-scale freeze dryer, Alpha 1-4 LSCplus with a capacity to dry frozen granules derived from 1-1.5 litre suspension in 24 hours. In practice the drying time depends on how much frozen liquid (water or solvent) is to be removed, in other words, depends on how high the powder content is in the processed suspension. For the need of higher drying capacity, a wide range of freeze dryers exist on the market.
Installation, demonstration and training is done at costumer (your lab) after the equipment has been delivered. At this occasion any of your material can be processed. The cost for training covers time, travel and accommodation for our personnel. The cost for the Lab-scale Granulator cover and includes the accessories you need for running the equipment.
Lab-resources needed; ventilation, pressurized air and for the processing you need access to liquid nitrogen. It can also be convenient to have a freezer for storage of frozen granules, can be a simple house-hold version.
Please fill in the form below describing your powder system and need for granulation and we will send you a quotation and additional info.